Spare Pen ClubCome, sip, and write alongside other creatives in the communi-tea.
Cost:$15.00 per person
About this experience
Important note: Hi, friends! Reservations are recommended as we can't guarantee regular seating for walk-ins. However, we will always do our best to accomodate walk-ins with available benches, stools, and standing areas.
Whether you’re on the nineteenth draft of your manuscript or working with a blank canvas, it’s important to keep writing (or start, in some cases). Sometimes, a change of scenery can help move the needle, which is why we’re offering a few seats in our shop for writers to work.
- Select up to 2 beverages. Takeout teas available available for purchase.
- Reservation for one person
- Access to WiFi; limited outlets available so please come fully charged
- You are welcome to come and leave at any time. Please note that if you arrive later than our start time of 7:10 p.m., we may have already begun a session. A tea-m member will meet you to take your order.
- Please refrain from talking on the phone or bringing outside food and drink (the space is used as a gallery and tasting room, so we want to preserve it for as long as possible). We will be playing light music in the background.
PROTECT YOURSELF & OTHERS FROM COVID-19
- If you are feeling unwell, please stay home. We will provide you with a refund.
- Cover coughs and sneezes.
- Bring a jacket or blanket to stay cozy.
- We recommend using files that you can access offline or using a notebook and pen.
- 6:30 p.m.: Early arrival (Recommended for planners or those who need time to warm up and/or settle in)
- 7:10 – 8:00 p.m.: Sprint 1
- 8:00 – 8:10 p.m.: Stretch (optional)
- 8:10 – 9:00 p.m.: Sprint 2
- 9:00 – 9:15 p.m.: Wrap up and share (optional)
What's parking like?
—All sessions are hosted at our La Jolla location. There is usually free parking available along and around Girard Avenue and Pearl Street. If you park further out, we'll assign you a buddy to ensure that you'll get back to your car safely.
Do you have a restroom?
—Yes, we have a restroom that will be available to guests!
Do you offer seating during the day?
—No, seating is only available during Spare Pen Club because the space is used mainly as a retail shop.
Do I have to be working on a novel?
—Not at all! You can be working on anything related to writing. You can read. You can even sit and think about writing, as long as it helps. Everyone's process is different.
Do I have to share what I’m working on?
—No pressure here. Feel free to say “skip” or “not ready to share.” However, we do encourage sharing when you are ready. You're also welcome to leave early.
Can I attend just one session?
—You can attend as many sessions as you’d like. This is an unofficial club, after all, but we do hope you return.
What kind of seating will you be providing?
—We have wooden stools (backless, armless). Benches will also be positioned around the shop for those who need to move around a bit.
What's the best place to find updates?
—You can find the latest updates on this page and our Instagram page, https://instagram.com/sparepenclub.
Lani Gobaleza is a Filipina American writer and co-owner of PARU. She studied history at UC Berkeley and taught English in Japan with the JET Program before working in tech.
In 2015, her short story "Every Day Vanilla" was published in the anthology Sunshine/Noir II: Writing From San Diego and Tijuana by City Works Press.
Lani was born in Guam and raised in Spain and San Diego, where she now resides with her wife and two dogs.
Your hosts also include Amy, Emily, Jon, and Kara. :)